Thursday, August 13, 2009

it's about time

I'm going to take a quick break from talkin' art, art history, and hipsters for something a bit more serious. I have been lucky enough to have never been troubled by race issues and today I'd like to extend a big thank you in the wake of what I hope is the world's way of admitting that we are finally in the 21st century. It took us long enough! The point I'm trying to make is that it seems only natural that models should be representing the population these days. But is that really the case? Well, I think we're taking steps in the right direction. Italian Vogue has already started paving the way with their all black July issue as the fashion world begins to more widely recognize non-white models.

I'll be honest, although I am a heavily Americanized teenager, I still have a hard time finding appropriate inspiration and it's wonderful and refreshing to see Indian models turning heads--and not simply because they're Indian, but because they're gorgeous. I also hope models such as Kangana Dutta (right), Ujjwala Raut, and Lakshmi Menon (above) completely overhaul the accepted conventions (i.e. products that supposedly lighten skin) that have had a firm grip on young women in India for far too long.

Admittedly, the fashion world is superficial but we were far overdue for this. If we're going to be bombarded with advertising and superficial images anyway, here's hoping that, finally, the world's actual population of Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, and African girls are represented.

1 comment:

caitrĂ­n said...

Not that I keep track of models, but my favorite model ever ever ever is Hye Park (in the middle)!
She has the coolest face.